Let’s face it—a Sunday afternoon spent scouring shower tile and scrubbing a toilet isn’t exactly how most of us would prefer to spend our free time. We get it, and there have certainly been times in our lives when it was easier to simply close the door on the grime and gunk of the bathroom and pretend it wasn’t getting worse every week. But eventually, the reality sinks in that we need to clean the place where we clean ourselves, and we’re forced into the full-afternoon, Ghostbuster-style cleans that should probably be done with a hazmat suit. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way! Cleaning the bathroom a little bit every day breaks you out of that ignore-and-deal-with-the-gore cycle, and this simple checklist will keep your sink, shower, tile, and toilet shining in the time it takes you to wash your face and brush your teeth.
What you’ll need:
- A canister of nontoxic wipes like Aunt Fannie’s Cleaning Vinegar Wipes
- Nontoxic glass and mirror cleaner, like Aunt Fannie’s Glass & Window Vinegar Wash
- A toilet brush
- Hand towel or microfiber cloth
- Toilet bowl cleaner, like MamaSuds Toilet Bombs Cleaning Tabs
- Apply toilet bowl cleaner (or a fizzing Toilet Bomb Cleaning Tab) into the toilet bowl, and let it activate while you move on to the next step.
- Spray the mirror and any windows with Glass & Window Vinegar Wash, and wipe down with a washable hand towel or microfiber cloth.
- Wet the towel you just wiped the mirror with to spot-clean any dirty areas on the bathroom floor and wipe up any hair or dust. Pro tip: If you use dryer sheets in your laundry, save used ones and keep in your bathroom—these are great for picking up hair and lint from the floors and corners to avoid needing to vacuum very often!
- Use a Cleaning Vinegar Wipe around the sink, countertops, and taps.
- Scrub the toilet bowl with the brush. Pro tip: prop the handle of the cleaning brush between the toilet lid and the seat with the brush head over the toilet bowl—that way it can drip dry and avoid mildew buildup in the toilet bowl holder!
- Wipe down the toilet seat and under the toilet seat with a Cleaning Vinegar Wipe.
- Throw away wipes and toss the hand towel in the laundry. Empty the trash if it’s getting full.
- Check your towels, and replace if they’ve seen cleaner days (check out our article to find out how often you should wash towels and sheets). If it’s time for a towel load, be sure to toss the bath mat into the laundry every once in a while as well.
Aside from a fast cleaning sprint on the daily, you can also take some preventative measures in the flow of your regular bathroom use. For small messes like makeup spills and toothpaste splatters, keep wipes handy under the sink so you can quickly tackle them before they dry. And remember that moisture is the enemy of a clean, happy bathroom—so be sure to use an exhaust fan or pop open the window when things get steamy. To keep ahead of any shower buildup, squeegee your shower walls and tub after every use, and prevent mildew with a vinegar spritz on the walls and the bottom of the shower curtain liner using our Cleaning Vinegars after every couple of showers. Also, if you use a shower curtain, spread it out to the full length of the tub instead of leaving it bunched up on one side. This will help it dry faster and avoid harboring mildew and mold.
Follow our tips and you’ll be a lean, green, cleaning machine, no icky chemicals or proton pack required!